The world loves a lover and Indian tradition seeks their happy union in addition to feel good about it. The year 2016 promises to be a great one for those associated with the big and small screens, Bollywood and the TV world. Wedding bells are going to toll, and continuously at that, in an industry that provides anywhere from pleasant surprises to absolute shocks in the matter of tie-ups. Yet it is that romance that thrills and a suspense that kills, the fans who would like see their screen idols united in real wedlock.
The happy ones who just got married without hassles in this 1 year.
- On March 3, 2016, actress Urmila Matondkar took the saat pheras with businessman and model Mohsin Akhtar Mir. The ‘Rangeela’ looked coy and demure and we felt happy for her settling down.
- On January 19, 2016, ‘Ghajini’ actress Asin Thottumkal married Micromax co-founder Rahul Sharma. The couple who had been in an almost four-year-long relationship, had a Christian ‘I do’ wedding followed by a Hindu ‘Saat Phere’ wedding ceremony.
- Shahid Kapoor and Mira Rajput tied the knot in 2015 despite have a wide age gap between them. Who cares? Certainly not they!
- Kareena Kapoor and Saif Ali Khan had their fans waiting with bated breath as to when the event would take place. It did and they are happily spending quality time with each other we are told.
- The beginning of 2015 saw Soha Ali Khan and Kunal Khemu laying to rest all speculation as to whether the marriage would be soon, especially after a wait of two years in just being together.
- The surprise package at the beginning of 2016, was in a quiet January wedding of long time actor Kabir Bedi and his long time partner Parveen Dusanj. They seem happy and so are we.
More couples to go their way
- Rumours are hot and there are no denials either, which makes the Bipasha Basu and Karan Grover marital tie-up a certainty. Their dating regularly and inside sources confirming, the public engagement is round the corner. Speculation is that the end of the year could see them bound to each other in wedlock. Karan has been married twice before, to Shraddha Nigam and Jennifer Winget. Bipasha has two long term live-in relationships behind her – Dino Morea and John Abraham.The new couple should still make a hit pair. We wish them luck.
- Sushant and Ankita met on the sets of TV show ‘Pavitra Rishta’. Their on-screen chemistry trickled off-screen as well. And, though they have never made any efforts to hide their relationship status, people were asking when would it be a status for the better. In a recent interview to a leading daily, Sushant confessed, “Ankita and I are getting married in December 2016.”
- Last year it was Harbhajan Singh and Geeta Basra who got Bollywood and cricket together. Now in 2016 it might be Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech’s turn. The couple, who had been dating each other for a couple of months, got engaged in November 2015. Though the wedding date has not been fixed yet, reports hint towards a February 2016 wedding.
- Karishma and Upen were locked together in the ‘Bigg Boss 8’ house, vibed well and love took over. Upen proposed to the ‘Grand Masti’ actress on the sets of dance reality show, ‘Nach Baliye 7’ and she nodded assent in front of an enthusiastic and eagerly waiting crowd. Wedding plans not discussed openly, end of 2016 could be the likely period for the culmination.
- One of the most eagerly awaited and talked about suspense thrillers of recent times is the Deepika Padukone and Ranveer Singh relationship. Will he pop the awaited question of marriage and will she say “Yes, I will” is anybody’s guess. The relationship status, has not left much to imagine, yet the question remains on whether and when will it finally happen. And latest reports had suggested that this alleged couple may be getting engaged in February 2016. A patient public is still waiting. Some sources have said that ‘Deepika and Ranveer have got an approval from both the families and are all set to exchange rings and make their relationship official in February 2016.’
Pairings of the TV world
- Yeh Hai Mohabbatein co-stars Divyanka Tripathi (Ishita) and Vivek Dahiya (ACP Abhishek) got engaged on January 16, 2016. And, the couple will be tying the knot at the end of 2016.
- Actor Sahil Mehta, aka Yuvraj Singh of Star Plus’ ‘Suhani Si Ek Ladki’, will be tying the knot with his long-time girlfriend Eesha Danait on May 1, 2016.
- Big Boss contestants Suyyash Rai and Kishwar Merchant met on the sets of ‘Pyaar Kii Ye Ek Kahaani’. Love entered their lives and they intend to get together as Miya Biwi in real life in 2016.
- Popular TV actor Aman Verma got engaged to TV actress and long time girl friend Vandana Lalwani on December 14th This year should see that relationship on a much firmer footing.
- Public favourite Bharti Singh, TV’s most loved stand-up comedian, in a secret relationship with Harsh Limbachiyaa, writer of many comedy shows on TV, has got engaged also it seems. We sincerely hope, like she anticipates, it culminates in a happy union this year.
There is more to this list of such serial pairings which promise to end in happy unions in 2016.
Marriage an institution however old and traditional, still holds a place of prominence in Indian society despite the external influences and pressures of modern day living. The excitement and thrill in the long list of functions, the solemnizing vows, the Saath Phere (seven times circling the holy fire) and the Bidaai (the farewell of the family and friends gathered to the outgoing bride) are still dear to every Indian heart however old-fashioned it may seem to other cultures.
That is why when a boy and girl romance and the public gets to know of it, they acknowledge it as a natural process. It is only when the engagement ceremony followed by a marriage celebration takes place that society approves the holy union of Man and Wife.
2016 we feel, augurs a lovely period of such celebrations in the film and TV industry that reminds those that have been through it, of pleasant memories, those yet to go through it, of how lovely it would be when it would be their turn.